November is National Career Development Month! In honor of the occasion, here’s the second case study in SCB’s series on Professional Development:
Back in 2017, SCB Management Consulting [SCB] was contracted to work on a Professional Development-focused project with Export-Import Bank (EXIM). As specialists in Professional Development and Technical Training, System Implementation Management, and Business Process Improvement, SCB was more than qualified to lead this project.
EXIM recognized a need for the development and implementation of an Individual Development Plan (IDP) Program to assist agencies with preparing several staff, ranging in tenure from 1 to 15+ years, for an organization-wide restructuring and creation of new roles.
SCB was engaged to support EXIM’s effort because of SCB’s vast experience with Program Development, Management projects, and Change Management. EXIM’s senior leadership was sensitive to the need for an effective Change Management approach, as well as staff support to implement the operational changes. This resulted in EXIM investing in the development of an Individual Development Plan (IDP) Training Program and ongoing support.
SCB assessed the specific needs of the organization through discussions with key stakeholders, including the Director, Human Resources staff, and select operational leaders. SCB was able to identify potential organizational changes based on the organization’s current challenges as well as unidentified opportunities.
SCB determined the following requirements were key in addressing these challenges, which the team recommended to the project sponsor and began implementation upon acceptance:
Step 1: Create Tailored IDP Form
Step 2: Develop and Implement IDP Training Course and Materials
Step 3: Create Individual IDP Workshop
Step 4: Develop and Implement Communication and Marketing Plan
After a review of the project requirements, SCB successfully incorporated the following into EXIM:
- Held process improvement sessions with key stakeholders, including organization’s leadership team
- Developed and implemented organization’s Individual Development Plan (IDP) program including tailored IDP form, group training, and individual coaching workshops
- Developed a tailored program and tools to meet EXIM’s specific needs
- Developed four-part program including:
- Communication Plan — email flyers and template language
- Briefings to Market the program — Hybrid of virtual and in-person sessions; conducted 4 sessions with 20 to 30 participants each
- Small Group Training — conducted training programs (in person and virtual) with 6 to 8 participants each.
- Conducted Individual Workshops — reviewed draft IDPs for each participant, if requested.
- 100% of Survey Respondents ‘Agreed’ or ‘Strongly Agreed’ that the Program Enhanced their ability to complete their IDP
- Each participant who attended the Individual Workshop successfully completed their IDP
- Subsequently, the contract extended to include additional briefings, training, and workshops
Looking to provide excellent Professional Development Training for your team? Contact SCB today to see how we can set you up for success! You can reach us directly at 443-598-6928, email [email protected], or fill out the form to contact us online.