SCB Management Consulting is pleased to announce that in 2021, we received several new Federal and State Certifications through the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). This included the SBA 8(a) Certification, FDOT DBE (Florida), DelDOT DBE (Delaware), IDOT DBE (Illinois), and MnDOT DBE (Minnesota). These new certifications add to our existing certifications from the SBA and DOT, totaling in 4 Federal Certifications, 17 State Certifications, and 3 Local Certifications!
The SBA 8(a) Certification is an important one for SCB. According to the U.S. Small Business Administration,
“The 8(a) program is a robust nine-year program created to help firms owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals. Businesses that participate in the program receive training and technical assistance designed to strengthen their ability to compete effectively in the American economy…SBA partners with federal agencies to promote maximum utilization of 8(a) program participants to ensure equitable access to contracting opportunities in the federal marketplace.”
As a woman- and minority-owned small business, SCB is proud to be recognized in this manner. Don’t let the description fool you – SCB’s status as an 8(a) firm does not mean that our services are lesser than any other firms. In fact, our “disadvantages” play to our strengths. SCB provides excellent service no matter the project or client.
In fact, SCB has had the pleasure of working several times as a contractor with the U.S. Department of Transportation itself, providing our reliable, excellent service to the projects. Here are some case studies detailing our work with the DOT:
Performance Assessment and Training
In preparation for the new White House administration, SCB was engaged to assist senior Department of Transportation (DOT) Administration leaders assess internal operations and identifying opportunities for improvement. SCB was contracted to help the DOT in their effort to provide their employees with Organization-Wide Professional Development Training.
- Identified DOT’s Strategic Objectives
- Facilitated Leadership Focus Groups with each of the 6 administration departments to identify opportunities for improvement, employee engagement opportunities, and Diversity & Inclusion opportunities
- Presented recommendations for global improvement opportunities to DOT senior leadership Presented implementation plan
- Developed tailored content, interactive curriculum, and training plan to deliver professional development courses to 450 headquarters staff, supervisors and managers, to train on best practices and address performance gaps
- Delivered a Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Best Practices Toolkit for Managers tailored to address client-specific needs
- Implemented sustainable solution for leadership to continually monitor performance
- Successfully coordinated more than 20 training sessions to ensure that 450 employees received each of the required training for their respective role. An average of 90% of participants strongly agreed or agreed that the sessions were valuable, information was presented well, and sessions were overall effective.
- Delivered the D&I Toolkit equipped with best practices and exercises to all DOT supervisors and managers
POLICY AND PROCEDURE REVIEW
In preparation for the new White House administration (2016), SCB was engaged to assist the DOT administration leaders to assess internal operations and identify opportunities for improvement. DOT’s goal for the HR Policy and Procedure Review project was to address inconsistencies in Human Resources processing and outcomes across the 10 modes.
Assessment and Implementation:
SCB began with the interviews with senior human resources administration officials to identify challenges and opportunities for improvement and establish key priorities for the project. SCB completed the following tasks:
- Reviewed client data (e.g., customer surveys) to identify specific pain points
- Identified and prioritized key human resources processes
- Facilitated business processing mapping sessions with subject matter experts
- Drafted all high-priority Human Resources processes.
- Facilitated multi-level validation sessions with human resources department end users and key business partners from other DOT modes
As Project Manager, SCB developed and continually monitored the budget, schedule, resources, quality, and client expectations. Additionally, SCB met bi-weekly with senior leaders to provide a status of results against the scope of work plan
- Finalized and published the Human Resources Standard Operating Procedures and job aids–on time, and within budget including: Recruiting, Hiring and Onboarding, Pay Setting, Performance Awards, and Performance Mgmt.
- Developed user-friendly job aids to support consistency, accuracy, and compliance
- Results facilitated DOTs compliance with the new administration’s Performance Management requirements.
SBA 8(a) firms are powerful and beyond capable. SCB in particular is committed to acting as your partner on a project, working by your side to ensure you reach your goals. Reach out today at 443-598-6928, email [email protected], or fill out the form to contact us online to learn how SCB, an SBA 8(a) certified firm, can help your business transform!